Friday, March 27, 2015

urgent care calls

As an LVT at a 7 day small animal exclusive practice I work weekends. I have an usual (but totally awesome schedule) where I work Tues,Weds,Thurs,Sat,Sun and then I'm off for 8 days until the following Tues. Awesome right!? I get a lot of mommy time with my daughter which is great. I am available to go on field trips and volunteer in her Pre-school class.

I am the head LVT (LVT by the way is Licensed Veterinary Technician. An LVT is the person right under the Doctors. I went to school, graduated and took both my state and national boards to become licensed. Hard, yes. Worth it, definitely.) and I run the surgical area. This is exactly where I wanted to be when I graduated from tech school almost 8 years ago. And I've held this position for 5 years now. Which is unheard of. Urgent care is just an added bonus. It gets me out of surgery and in exam rooms with owners. As much as I love surgery, it can be so stressful, the constant balance of patients and anesthesia that a break from that is much needed, mentally. I see a lot of things on urgent care. A lot of crazy things and a lot of sad things.

There are things that will never cease to amaze me about people, and that is people that can hurt animals or children. I mean talk about an uneven fight. What can be completely wrong with people to do those kind of things?

Last week I ran into a patient under those circumstances and its hard. I can get through my job, I can get the patient the care and medical attention they need. But The second I had a moment to sit down and think I started to cry. It affected the Doctor on the case and everyone else who was involved. Just terrible. I won't get into details because well, it's not needed and it's being investigated.

But I still love the level of care we provide 7 days a week. And I can't wait to see what this weekend brings!

No comments:

Post a Comment