Tuesday, February 17, 2015

New Beginnings

I'm starting a new journey and I'm taking this blog along for the ride. I have decided to run an Ultra-marathon this fall!! Now I know fall seems like a long time away seeing as how we are in the middle of winter but in my opinion it's just enough time to prepare. :)
I started looking to Ultra Running (ultra-marathon i.e. any race over the standard 26.2 miles of a marathon) after watching Desert Runners on Netflix. I came across this film and thought, looks interesting worse thing that could happen is it's terrible and I turn it off. ( the best thing about Netflix you can just move on if you don't like what you are watching!)   I have since watched it 5 times in the last 2 months. I've even had my husband, who is not a runner, watch it with me so he could appreciate Ultra running. The people I saw are utterly amazing! I mean how cool would it be to do what they've done. So I looked into it. Mind you reading this, I have only ran 7 or so 5k's and 1 8k! And now I'm looking into the 4 desert series. I needed to get a grip and fast! haha The entry fee alone made me gasp and then I proceeded to add it to my "bucket list" which now includes one thing, running the Roving Race via racing the planet by the time I'm 40 (I've got 8 years to save $3600.00 for an entry fee).
So with this new dream in my head I needed more information. So I went to amazon and bought 4 books. Three Ultra and 1 by Kara Goucher, because I read her article in Women's Running Magazine and I think she's pretty cool. But there isn't a whole lot out there, internet wise, about ultra running. And I'm pretty curious!
I began searching the internet for local races as well. And I found one about an hour and a half away that is a 50k trail run! It sounds awesome! I gave my husband the low down and he seems pretty supportive. We have already talked about making it a long weekend with our daughter at a hotel with a pool and a hot tub which (I think) will be just what I need post 50k!
I am excited about this new adventure and hope you come along with me on my ultra footpath! :)

No comments:

Post a Comment