Thursday, July 9, 2015

the decision is in

Well after a lot of thought and consideration and also talking it out with the hubs and some running friends, I've decided to step back from training for the ultra and focus on a half marathon instead.

It sounds like a huge change, I mean the miles alone 33 miles compared to 13.1 is a totally ridiculous change but there are good reasons for this, or at least I think so.

I spoke to one of the doctors I work with who does triathlons and she had some good points the stuck with me. She asked me 1) was it just a bad run? I mean come on I am human and have bad runs too, could it just be that. 2) was it the distance? I couldn't answer that because... well I'd never ran over 10 miles before so I don't know if my body just can't handle it. 3) was it heat/fuel related? possibly I was seeing goosebumps for most of my run which is a sign of heat reaction.

These things made me think, maybe taking a step back and re-evaluating is a good thing. And why not? She also mentioned to not do something for the sake of saying you did it, but because you truly want to. That was huge, my ah ha moment. I want to love my extra time, my running time with just me and at this moment I dread putting my running shoes on. I feel gun shy and well lets face it if I still have a goal in my future I need to buck up and get back out there.

I will admit too.....I haven't been the most out going runner. So maybe I deserved this?

What I mean is I never put in the speed training (which I will say ultra marathoners joke at how slow they are) but it wouldn't have hurt. I avoided hills, which literally were my down fall at the 20 km. And strength..one area I am for sure lacking in is strength.

I'm being lazy.

I need to do better.

I will do better.

*Cheers to starting over...again.*    

No comments:

Post a Comment