Friday, May 22, 2015

Favorite foods

This morning I ran my 2 miles. 2 miles was so little, I mean it's a lot and I know I will be wanting 2 miles when I'm knee deep in 22 miles. But it seemed like I was cheating today. I ran at sun rise, which was a pretty great one. No camera/phone accompanied me this morning, although I think I should have had my jacket on because it was frigid this morning. I went with a pull over (no pockets) long tights, compression socks and a t-shirt under my pull over. I decided on music because I needed an extra boost. I have picked up the cold that's been circulating my house now for weeks. I've tried my best to clean and to avoid it. It was inevitable. I got over 8 hours of sleep but still dozed off after getting P from school. So I know I'm fighting something.

Like I've spoke about many times, because I might be boarder line obsessed: FOOD.

I've been trying different things to figure what is best for my body as I train and what to keep in the future for my Ultra.
-Runs with 3 miles or less I have an apple sauce:
This is my go to flavor, apple and pear...Yum!

-For runs 3 miles and over ( i.e. 5 so far ) I eat a Luna protein bar: 
They are delicious, chocolate chip cookie dough. And a total added bonus, GF!

I eat these on longer runs because it takes longer to digest. So anytime I'm running over 30 mins, or have an hour to eat before a run (which I will not wake up any earlier to eat a protein bar I just eat them knowing they'll kick in eventually) I grab one of these. I've also ate these on long surgery days at work and they keep my hunger at bay like crazy, which is so huge!

I'll be figuring out what I like to eat during longer runs here in the next couple weeks. Gels and GU worry me because my body is uber sensitive. I might try dried fruit, more apple sauce, bananas, ext.

-Post runs 2 miles, 3 miles or 5 I eat a GF bagel. Either plain or everything ( pretty much whatever the GF sections has in stock). One side with PB and the other with AB. And usually a piece of fruit, banana's are my go to. 

-Daily I try to eat one - two spinach salads a day. I've noticed if I get in a salad at lunch I usually stay pretty full, even at work. I eat 2 types of salads 
1) spinach with tomato slices and light italian dressing
2) mixed green salads (spinach/mixed greens) with strawberries/raspberries +/- blueberries and FF raspberry vinaigrette.
I don't stray too far from these 2 because I know I like them and I know they taste good. 

- Water! I drink a TON of water. Like 4-5 L of water/ day. (I drink about 4 oz of coffee in the morning but I am trying to get away from that.)

-Nuun tablets in my water for sure! And speaking of water I will carry my Nathan's water bottle on runs 5 mile and over with 1/2 Nuun tablet in it, 1/2 because it's only 22oz and 1 tablet is a little over powering. 

-More veggies. More veggies for sure. Sweet potatoes are definitely becoming a close friend of mine. I take them to work and cook them in the microwave :) LOL yesterday I put mine in there cook it and left it for 3 hours, needless to say it was hard as a rock!! I did not eat it. :( (luckily I had a luna bar)

This is all a work in progress, My eating has always been a work in progress, but now I can say I'm seeing progress. I am seeing benefits and changes and a much healthier approach.    

I hope everyone has a happy and healthy Memorial Day weekend! 

Get some running in :) 




No comments:

Post a Comment