Sunday, May 31, 2015

runners high with week 5 complete

Week 5 of training for my ultra is done!! Today I ran 6 mile!! This is a huge feet for me because I have never ran over 5 or 5.5 miles! Last year I had major plans to run a 10k and a half. But was sidelined do to my ITBS. So I was never able to really get mileage under my belt.

I was really worried about completing the 6 miles. I know that some runners eat 6 miles for breakfast, I on the other hand, can't say I do. I got an okay nights sleep. I slept in P's room because she wanted to sleep in my bed with the hubs. (She's going through an attachment phase and seems to attach herself with whichever parent she spends more time with that day, so since I worked, that parent was the hubs).

I got out for my run my 6:15. My plan was to run for 3 miles, walk and snack on some dried mango. Then finish the last 3 miles. I did just that. I sipped on my water the whole way but because it was a bit chilly (45*) and breezy I didn't feeling overwhelmed to drink a ton. I also picked this particular route because it has bathrooms and a drinking fountain where I planned on turning around in case I needed a refill.

I honestly felt pretty great the whole time. My breathing was great! I did start out a bit quicker but that was only do to a creepy looking guy that was also out walking (pepper spray in toe). My stomach seemed to handle to mango's just fine. This is where I am going to experiment with foods and such, gotta get the whole nutrition and functionality thing working for me.

This is my pre-run readiness:
  • Nathan's hand water bottle with 1/2 tablet NUUN in it.
  • Bottle of water with 1 tablet of NUUN in it for post-run drive home.
  • Garmin watch
  • Faux fanny pack with ipod and mango's and pepper spray
  • On running shoes w CEP hot pink compression socks
  • Wallet for the drive in case I drive too fast because I'm so excited to run and I need my license
  • Luna protein bar pre-run
  • Apple sauce post-run on drive home
  • Towel to sit on (ewh I know but true)
I was completely and totally proud of myself when I was done and so excited to see my accomplishments!

1:09 for 6 miles. I was pretty impressed because that's 3 minutes quicker than I planned and that's with walking a few minutes at the turn around to eat my mango's. :)

Runner's high is in full effect!!

I wore compression socks to work which most definitely helped with recovery and then being on my feet all day. I think my food choices were on point as well as my water intake. 

Week 5 break down:
Monday: 4 mile (road and RT) my worst run to date
Tuesday: rest
Wednesday: 4 miles (RT) 
Thursday: strength and cross training
Friday: 3 miles (RT)
Saturday: rest
Sunday: 6 miles (RT) longest mileage so far!!
Total 17 miles :)  

Hope everyone had a wonderful weekend!

-What do you use as an energy booster on runs? 

No comments:

Post a Comment