Monday, May 4, 2015

running in the rain

I have never run in the rain until this morning. I really didn't want to, to be totally honest. But I have to remind myself that the ultra weather could literally be anything...I mean anything. Sweltering, cold, rainy, snowy. Who knows! It's Michigan in September!!

It was interesting to say the least and not as bad as I was anticipating. The weather held off pretty well for the most part I only got rained on a bit. I'm on day 5 which was a schedules 4.0 mile run I ran 4.18 miles. The first mile felt good but miles 2-3 felt pushed/uncomfortable. Once I turned around and started my second half I started to doubt myself again. I was actually thinking about ways I could tell the hubs how I kinda just threw away $90.00 on my ultra entry fee. I was thinking about how I could work an extra day to make it up. Then something odd happened. I put my arms down because on the way back there was a breeze and it was humid and sticky out from the rain and the crooks of my elbows were sweaty.

When I put my arms down and out a bit I noticed my gait felt better. I went with it for a little bit and tried to figure this new approach out. I usually have my arms up at my sides swinging. As I lowered them just a bit my gait changed and I noticed I wasn't swinging my hips as much. Which hips and ITBS go hand in hand. The rest of my run felt really good. Could it be a new form or a fluke?!

I'm curious what this will entail for future running. My next scheduled is Wednesday, so I'm definitely trying the form again and I guess we'll see. :)

Pre run/ pre rain :

Post run/ post rain:

I think my smile and laughter is do to the new form :) !! 

Week 1 training: 
Monday: 5 miles 
Tuesday: strength 
Wednesday: 3 miles ( both monday and wednesday were suppose to be 4 miles each so it evened out)
Thursday: rest
Friday: 3 miles
Saturday: rest
Sunday: 3 miles 
Total 14 miles. I am also always doing my foam rolling and resistance training. I do 150-200 squats on strength days and rest days as well. 



No comments:

Post a Comment