Wednesday, April 8, 2015

trail running part one

I made it out to the trails! It was not my finest moment but I did it. I say it wasn't the best because I am not an evening runner. It's hard for me to gear up for running after a long day and especially after eating dinner. And yes I should have maybe held off eating dinner or ate lighter on anticipation to go for a run, but it all just kinda happened. It finally got sunny out after a whole day of cold and cloudy/rainy day. As I was sitting down for dinner the sun started to come out and I was like, yep need to get out there.

I put on my new trail shoes and compression socks. I'm sure the compression socks were over kill, but I looked pretty cute :) I arrived at the trails at 7:00 pm. No head phones so I could be aware of my surroundings and pay close attention. And my new pink pepper spray in tow. I know it sounds silly and I've never heard of anything happening to runners out on the trail or rail trails but I always want to be aware of everything and anyone.

I was out on the trails and the shoes felt great! The compression socks were different in a way that they felt like nylons on my feet. I'm use to socks, they weren't uncomfortable by any means just different feeling. I especially felt them after my feet got drenched after running through mud and puddles. HI TRAIL RUNNING!! :) haha totally makes a runner feel like a BA! (is that just me?)

I came up on a elderly women walking her terrior while she struggles with crutches. I wondered why she was doing all those things and not just putting him in the dog park to run around. (which is out there as well) I coughed to not startle her, no moving over, I then pleasantly said "on your right" she was in the middle and the dog was on the left so I chose right) she about had a heart attack which is what I was trying to avoid. I apologized and said "I'm so sorry I was trying not to scare you." The dog then lounged and me and she smiles. Like Oh gosh you scared both of us. Oh the joys of running.

Not like this dog was coming at me or anything, because he seriously was just as startled as his owner, I am not a fan of dogs out when I run. Yes I love dogs, I've made a career out of caring for them. But I think there are some dog owners who think it's funny to have their dogs run after runners. I dislike that about people. I have a Dr I work for that is a triathlete who had a friend (runner) who was bit in the achilles by a dog while she was out running! I can't imagine!!

I've also run into a neighbor who has a runner chasing dog. It's obnoxious and I've let him know in some colorful ways. (ps the neighbor is a DB).

Anyway, I feel closed to my goal as an Ultra runner :) So glad I got out there last night, belly full or not, it was great to be on those trails!


No comments:

Post a Comment