Thursday, April 16, 2015

ultra-marathons and what it means

Ultra-running and Ultra-marathons are intense. The distance is intense, the training is intense, the mental ability is too intense.

So why do it?.....

I have never ran more than an 8k. I ran a few dozen 5k road races and two 5k trail runs. I loved the trail runs. It felt so free to me. I remember running on a cross county course and thinking if I was back in high school I may have run cross country. I didn't do any sports in high school. Too busy with my horses and working to be honest.

But the trail running oh how I love trail running. After an 8k in March 2014 that's when my knee pain started. I was already scheduled for at least 3 more road races. The next on my docket was a 10k on Mackinaw Island (how amazing right?) And then I really had high hopes for a 1/2 marathon in early spring (2015). This was all going down the tubes. I liked racing but wanted something different. I work with a one Dr who does duathlone's and another who does triathlon's. I looked into doing a tri, but I'm really not a strong swimmer.

I found my interest in ultra's peak after running across Desert Runners on Netflix. I was completely amazed by these runners. Some were professional runners, some after an experience they'd never forget. Some wanted to conquer an adventure maybe after dealing with cancer or a death in the family. The runners they show are (to put it lightly) incredible!!!!

Dean Karnazes was the first to run all four deserts in one calendar year. They named this the deserts grand slam. He did it for a new adventure. He, in one word, is unbelievable. I've now read two of his books. He's inspirational. I highly recommend his books. He is so humble in them. It's hard to believe he could write without coming off cocky, but he does.

I started looking around MI for ultra's. I was curious to see if anything around here existed. And they do! Only 16 scheduled in 2015. I check availability and a lot of the 50 km were sold out ( no so much the 100 miles though, those were definitely still open). I couldn't believe that many people knew about it. I figured since I just found out about that means most other people did too, right?! haha my little bubble.

Why I think I can run an Ultra with only having 5-8k's under my belt:


  • I am conditioned. I have done a good job getting myself fit. 
  • I am determined. I really want to experience this race. 
  • And I am a nerd. I have done my research so I am mentally prepared.   
I am really looking forward to all this! I can't help being positive with how good I feel right now!! 

Happy Running! :)


No comments:

Post a Comment